Welcome Stranger to OCC!Login | Register

IBM Purchasing Red Hat, to Become Leading Hybrid Cloud Provider

Category: General News
Posted: 07:09AM
Author:

In what will be one of the largest technology industry acquisitions, IBM will be purchasing Red Hat for approximately $34 billion. The open source software company will join IBM's Hybrid Cloud team as a distinct unit, allowing it to maintain its independence and neutrality and Red Hat CEO Jim Whitehurst will continue to lead it by joining IBM senior management. This acquisition will make IBM the world's top hybrid cloud provider.

The two companies have been working together for some 20 years, with IBM being a supporter of Linux and Red Hat developing and growing enterprise-grade Linux. Going forward the hope is the combined skills and expertise of the companies will help companies move more operations to the cloud. By their estimation, most companies are only 20% toward using the cloud with the remaining 80% being held back due to the proprietary design of the current cloud market. Now IBM with Red Hat will be able to deliver cloud-native applications faster that provide data portability without compromising security across public and private clouds.

Source: IBM



Register as a member to subscribe comments.

Submit your comment:
Members, please LOGIN before posting
Live user
verification *:

Enter the letters you see in the image (without spaces)
Comment *:

* indicates required fields
© 2001-2018 Overclockers Club ® Privacy Policy
Elapsed: 0.2282750607   (xlweb1)