Silent Hunter: Wolves of the Pacific (PC)Wollf -
Price: $49.99 USD
» Discuss this article (0)
Silent Hunter: Wolves of the Pacific, is the 4th title in a series of games where you get to take control of a submarine at the beginning of World War II. You start out in Pearl Harbor, fresh after the attack where almost everything is destroyed. Luckily, however, the Japanese somehow missed out on the subs, so it is up to you to start fighting for your country and pick up a career in the Navy! This excellent simulation allows you to take control of all aspects of your sub, including firing the main deck gun, or shooting down enemy aircraft trying to blow you back under the water. There are some choices to make for your realism settings and if you haven't played a game like this before, you might want to set them a little on the lower end until you can get the hang of it.
Jumping into the game like I often do, I installed it and put the manual to the side (it is a nice thick one, so I figured I would probably need it soon). I jumped right into a mission and promptly got destroyed. Okay, maybe I jumped in a little too quick. This time around I decided to try out the training missions; everyone could use a little help, right? So I went through the five training sessions:
- Navigation Training ... Follow a course to a destination; fairly simple once you master your compass settings.
- Gunnery Training ... Use your AA gun and shoot down a plane...not tough and very nice explosions
- Torpedo Training ... A fairly simple shot with your torpedo, taking out an enemy cruiser that doesn't fight back very well.
- Sonar and Radar Training ... Pretty self-explanatory; use the sonar and radar and you're done
- Convoy Attack Training ... The most fun of the training missions; use all that you have learned to sneak up on a convoy, take out their defenses, and then take your time blowing very large holes through the nice slow moving targets, watching them slowly meet Davey Jones.