Patriot Viper Xtreme PC3 16000 CAS 9 2X2GB Memory ReviewRJR - December 16, 2010
» Discuss this article (2)
Testing of the Patriot Viper Xtreme memory will include all the standard OCC tests. We will run this memory at the rated frequency and timings specified by Patriot Memory, make sure that the XMP profile works as expected and finally, push the RAM to see what headroom is available for the overclockers out there without getting carried away with either the voltages or loosening the timings too much.
- CPU: Intel core i7 860 (stock 2.80 / OC 2.99)
- Cooling: Noctua NH-U12P SE 1366
- Motherboard: Gigabyte P55UD4P
- Memory: Patriot Viper Xtreme DDR3-2000 CL9
- Video Card: Gigabyte HD 5870
- Power Supply: Corsair HX750W
- HDD: WD VelociRaptor 150
- Optical Drive: Samsung DVD-R
- OS: Windows 7 Home Pro 64-bit
- Mushkin Radioactive DDR3-1600 CL6
- Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600 CL8
- Kingston HyperX blu DDR3-1600 CL9
- G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600 CL9 8GB
CPU-Z: This application shows us the settings that we have chosen in the BIOS. Items shown in this application include CPU speed and bus settings, motherboard manufacturer, BIOS revisions, memory timings and SPD chip information.
Task Manager: We use this utility to show physical memory, kernel memory, page file and processor usage.
- Processor: Intel core i7 860 at 176 X 17 = 2.99 Ghz
- Memory: Patriot Viper Extreme DDR3-2000 at 2112 MHz 9-11-9-27
The Patriot Viper Extreme memory managed an increase of its frequency to 2112 Mhz with only a slight bump in the tRCD timing from 10 to 11. The memory ran completely stable at this elevated frequency and proved to boost the performance of this set of RAM in our testing.
The maximum memory speed for each set of modules when overclocked is a measure of how well the modules ran on these particular settings and test system. As such, your results may differ in either a positive or negative way based on the capabilities of your hardware. Meaning, that your mileage may vary!
The benchmarks used in this review include the following:
- CPU-Z Version 1.55
- Windows Task Manager
- PCMark Vantage
- Geekbench 2.1
- Super Pi 1.5
- SiSoft Sandra 2011
- Batman Arkham Asylum