OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 2 x 2 GB Reviewajmatson -
» Discuss this article (1)
When I first started building computers, I used to think that all memory was created equal. Boy, was I mistaken. Once I got into benchmarking and heavy gaming, there was a world of difference. So how different will the OCZ Reapers be? There is only one way to find out, so I am going to put the OCZ Reaper HPC memory through a series of benchmarks used to stress the memory and record its performance. I am also going to compare it to two other sets of memory; the OCZ Platinum Edition PC2-8000 and the Patriot Extreme Edition PC2-9600. The OCZ Platinum Edition is going to be overclocked to 1066MHz and 5-5-5-18 timings and the Patriot downclocked to 1066MHz with 5-5-5-18 timings to match the stock speeds and timings of the OCZ Reaper Series for an even comparison.
- Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 333 x 9.5
- Motherboard: Gigabyte X38-DS4 w/ Bios version F2
- Memory: OCZ Reaper HPC PC2-8500 5-5-5-18 2 x 2GB
- Video Card: Foxconn NVidia 8600GTS 256MB Forceware 169.25
- Power Supply: Ultra X2 750w Extreme Edition
- Hard Drive: 1 x Seagate 320GB SATA
- Opticals: Lite-On 8x DVD+/-RW
- O/S: Windows Vista Ultimate Edition
- Comparison Memory: OCZ Platinum Edition PC2-8000 5-5-5-18 2 x 2GB
- Comparison Memory: Patriot Extreme Edition PC2-9600 5-5-5-12 4 x 1GB
CPU-Z: This application shows us the settings that we have chosen in the BIOS. Items shown in this application include CPU speed and bus settings, motherboard manufacturer, BIOS revisions, memory timings and SPD chip information.
Task Manager: We use this utility to show physical memory, kernel memory, page file usage and processor usage (%).
- Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 (336 x 9.5)
- Sytem Memory: 1120MHz (5-5-5-18 @ 2.2v)
I wanted to see how far I could get the memory to go, so I started playing with numbers. The highest overclock I could get was 1167MHz, but to get there I had to loosen the timings all the way to 5-8-8-22. At these timings, the scores were lower than the stock speeds so they were not usable as an overclock. The sweet spot that I found for the best performance was at 1120MHz with the stock timings of 5-5-5-18. This gave a slight improvement and was thoroughly stable. These are the scores I am going to use for overclocked benchmarking later in this review.
The following benchmarks are going to be used to measure performance and for comparison.
- PCMark Vantage
- SiSoft Sandra XII
- Company Of Heroes