G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600 CL9 8GB ReviewRJR -
» Discuss this article (6)
Testing of the G.Skill memory will include all the standard OCC tests. We will run this memory at the rated frequency and timings specified by G.Skill, make sure that the XMP profile works as expected and finally, push the RAM to see what headroom is available for the overclockers out there.
- CPU: Intel core i7 860
- Cooling: Noctua NH-U12P SE 1366
- Motherboard: Gigabyte P55UD4P
- Memory: G.Skill DDR3 1600 CAS 9 8GB Kit
- Video Card: Gigabyte HD 5870
- Power Supply: Enermax Modu-82+ 625W
- HDD: Patriot Torqx 128 GB, Seagate 640 GB 7200.11
- Optical Drive: Samsung DVD-R
- OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
- Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600 CL8
- Kingston HyperX blu DDR3-1600 CL9
- G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600 CL9
- Mushkin Blackline 996782
- Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600
- Memonex Top Series DDR3-1333
- G.Skil ECO Series DDR3-1600
CPU-Z: This application shows us the settings that we have chosen in the BIOS. Items shown in this application include CPU speed and bus settings, motherboard manufacturer, BIOS revisions, memory timings and SPD chip information.
Task Manager: We use this utility to show physical memory, kernel memory, page file and processor usage.
- Processor: Intel core i7 860 at 164 X 19
- Memory: G.Skill DDR3-1600 at 1968 MHz 9-9-9-24
The memory kind of surprised me a little bit. I wasn't expecting these 1600 MHz 4 Gb sticks to go over 1800 MHz, much less almost reach 2000 MHz! Keeping the memory at its rated 9-9-9-24 timings but upping the VDIMM from 1.5v to 1.65v we topped out at 1968 MHz. Pretty impressive for 4 Gb sticks of DDR3-1600 memory and especially considering this is CAS 9 rated memory. This memory also did pretty good at tightening up the timings while at the stock speed. It managed 7-7-7-24 at the rated speed of 1600 MHz.
The maximum memory speed for each set of modules when overclocked is a measure of how well the modules ran on these particular settings and test system. As such, your results may differ in either a positive or negative way based on the capabilities of your hardware. Meaning, that your mileage may vary!
The benchmarks used in this review include the following:
- CPU-Z Version 1.55
- Windows Task Manager
- PCMark Vantage
- Geekbench 2.1
- Super Pi 1.5
- SiSoft Sandra 2010
- Batman Arkham Asylum