Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H Reviewajmatson - April 16, 2008
» Discuss this article (0)
1. Support for Socket AM2+/ AM2 processors: AMD Phenom™FX processor/ AMD Phenom™ processor/ AMD Athlon™ 64 FX processor/AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core processor/AMD Athlon™ 64 processor/AMD Sempron™ processor
Hyper Transport Bus
|1. 5200/2000 MT/s|
|1. North Bridge: AMD 780G
2. South Bridge: AMD SB700
1. 4 x 1.8V DDR2 DIMM sockets supporting up to 16 GB of system memory (Note 1)
2. Dual channel memory architecture
3. Support for DDR2 1066 (Note 2)/800/667 MHz memory modules
1. Realtek ALC889A codec
2. High Definition Audio
4. Support for DTS (dts NEO:PC)
5. Support for S/PDIF In/Out
6. Support for CD In
|1. Realtek 8111C chip (10/100/1000 Mbit)|
|1. 1 x PCI Express x16 slot (The PCI Express x16 slot conforms to PCI Express 2.0 standard.)
2. 1 x PCI Express x1 slot
3. 2 x PCI slots
1. 1 x IDE connector supporting ATA-133/100/66/33 and up to 2 IDE devices
2. 5 x SATA 3Gb/s connectors (SATAII0, SATAII1, SATAII2, SATAII3, SATAII4) supporting up to 5 SATA 3Gb/s devices
3. 1 x eSATA 3Gb/s port on the back panel supporting up to 1 SATA 3Gb/s device
4. Support for SATA RAID 0, RAID 1 and RAID 10
iTE IT8718 chip:
1. 1 x floppy disk drive connector supporting up to 1 floppy disk drive
|T.I. TSB43AB23 chip
1. Up to 2 IEEE 1394a ports (1 on the back panel, 1 via the IEEE 1394a bracket connected to the internal IEEE 1394a header)
|Integrated in the South Bridge
1. Up to 12 USB 2.0/1.1 ports (4 on the back panel, 8 via the USB brackets connected to the internal USB headers)
Internal I/O Connectors
1. 1 x 24-pin ATX main power connector
2. 1 x 4-pin ATX 12V power connector
3. 1 x floppy disk drive connector
4. 1 x IDE connector
5. 5 x SATA 3Gb/s connectors
6. 1 x CPU fan header
7. 1 x system fan header
8. 1 x front panel header
9. 1 x front panel audio header
10. 1 x CD In connector
11. 1 x S/PDIF In/Out header
12. 1 x IEEE 1394a header
13. 4 x USB 2.0/1.1 headers
14. 1 x parallel port header
15. 1 x Trusted Platform Module (TPM) header
16. 1 x serial port header
17. 1 x chassis intrusion header
18. 1 x power LED header
Back Panel Connectors
|1. 1 x PS/2 keyboard port
2. 1 x PS/2 mouse port
3. 1 x D-Sub port
4. 1 x DVI-D port (Note 3)
5. 1 x HDMI port
6. 1 x optical S/PDIF Out connector
7. 1 x eSATA 3Gb/s port
8. 1 x IEEE 1394a port
9. 4 x USB 2.0/1.1 ports
10. 1 x RJ-45 port
11. 6 x audio jacks (Center/Subwoofer Speaker Out/Rear Speaker Out/Side Speaker Out/Line In/Line Out/Microphone)
|1. ITE IT8718 chip|
System voltage detection
1. CPU/System temperature detection
2. CPU/System fan speed detection
3. CPU overheating warning
4. CPU/System fan fail warning
5. CPU/System fan speed control (Note 4)
1. 1 x 8 Mbit flash
2. Use of licensed AWARD BIOS
3. PnP 1.0a, DMI 2.0, SM BIOS 2.4, ACPI 1.0b
|1. Support for @BIOS
2. Support for Download Center
3. Support for Q-Flash
4. Support for EasyTune (Note 5)
5. Support for Xpress Install
6. Support for Xpress Recovery2
7. Support for Virtual Dual BIOS
|1. Norton Internet Security (OEM version)|
|1. Support for Microsoft Windows Vista/ XP|
|1. Micro ATX Form Factor; 24.4cm x 24.4cm|
|1. Due to different Linux support condition provided by chipset vendors, please download Linux driver from chipset vendors' website or 3rd party website.
2. Due to most hardware/software vendors no longer offer support for Win9X/ME. If some vendors still has Win9X/ME drivers available, we will publish on website.
|(Note 1) Due to Windows XP 32-bit operating system limitation, when more than 4 GB of physical memory is installed, the actual memory size displayed will be less than 4 GB.
(Note 2) Whether 1066 MHz memory speed is supported depends on the CPU being used.
(Note 3) The DVI-D port does not support D-Sub connection by adapter.
(Note 4) Whether the CPU/system fan speed control function is supported will depend on the CPU/ system cooler you install.
The GA-MA78GM-S2H is GIGABYTE’s next generation, high performance platform based on the new AMD 780G Chipset and support for the new AMD Phenom™ quad-core processors, with the latest AM2+ platform support, integrated DDR2 1066 memory controller, HyperTransport™ 3.0 technology links and 128-bit Floating Point Units. In addition, GA-MA78GM-S2H features with two innovative S features- Safe, Smart technologies, further providing reliable and user friendly computing and reaching the maximum system performance easily via personalized software settings. GIGABYTE S series motherboards, the champion’s choice for AMD AM2+ platform!
- Solid Capacitor for CPU VRM
Stable system operation depends upon the quality of CPU VRM (voltage regulator module). GIGABYTE adopts Conductive Polymer Aluminum Solid Capacitors for CPU VRM to ensure a longer lifespan for systems in daily operation and boost system stability under extreme conditions. CPU VRM with Solid Capacitors featuring better electronic conductivity, excellent heat resistance enhances system durability even operating in high temperature environment.
- AMD OverDrive Support
The AMD OverDrive™ utility provides high-end users the ability to maximize the capability, flexibility, and adjustability of the platforms utilizing AMD processors, sockets, and chipsets.Please click here to download
- AMD Live Ready
AMD Live Ready Requirement compliant.
- Windows Vista Premium Logo Certified
Windows Vista Premium promises to deliver a streamlined computing experience designed to fundamentally change how users view, find and organize their digital information. With GIGABYTE AM2+/ AM2 solutions enabling support for Vista Premium, GIGABYTE offers a fresh and unique desktop experience that will be more informative, intuitive and completely new...more
- AMD Phenom™ processors
The leading-edge performance and unparallel technology of AMD AM2+ Phenom™ processors have built its strength on the well-known AMD64 framework which consisted next generation of HyperTransport 3.0 Technology, and integrated DDR2 1066 memory controller, and 128-bit Floating Point Units. The AMD Phenom™ processors are an ideal choice for multi-media enthusiasts and intensive multi-tasking environments to offer significant performance boosts and provides an overall more energy efficient platform.
- AMD 780G Chipset
The AMD 780G Chipset is the system logic of the latest AM2+ (HyperTransport 3.0) platform from AMD that enables its next generation Phenom™ processors. The AMD 780G chipset integrated ATI Radeon™ HD 3200-based graphics architecture. This unique combination of Integrated Graphics Processor (IGP) creates a single motherboard featuring a world-class DX10, Shader Model 4.0 graphics, ATI Avivo™ Technology, and brand-new ATI Hybrid Graphics Technology and AMD UVD (Unified Video Decoder) Technology for faster and smoother game-play, a high quality video processing engine for advance quality of video and DVD playback.
- World No.1 Onboard Graphics Performance- 3DMark 2006 1500 marks!!
The 3DMark 2006 is a benchmark software which is from Futuremark Corporation and generally used on analyzing a PC performance of DirectX® 3D visualization, especially a valuable guideline for gaming users as reference.
* Hardware equipment required: [CPU] AMD Phenom 9600(2.2GHz), [Memory] DDR2 800(2GB), [OS] Windows Vista 32-bit.
* Software equipment required: [Benchmark] 3DMark 2006, [Resolution] 1280x1024x32 (no AA, no AF, 32bpp).
- ATI Hybrid Graphics Technology support
Experience the advanced ATI Hybrid Graphics Technology, which is including ATI Hybrid CrossFireX™, ATI SurroundView™, and ATI PowerPlay™. With combination of onboard GPU and a single VGA card’s GPU*, ATI Hybrid CrossFireX™ can bring remarkable display performance on AMD platform, and also further to increase your overall system value. ATI SurroundView™ allows 4 or more monitors support at once and also ATI PowerPlay™ enables power saving profiles to help reduce power consumption and further resulting in reduced system temperatures and fan noise.
* Please use ATI Hybrid CrossFireX certified VGA card (i.e., ATI Radeon HD 2400, 3400 series).
** ATI Hybrid CrossFireX current only supports Windows Vista.
- Dual Channel DDR2 1066* MHz
Experience the advanced technology of DDR2 1066* memory, featuring faster speeds and higher data bandwidth, which delivers superior performance for the most demanding applications.
* Whether 1066 MHz memory speed is supported depends on the CPU being used, please refer “Memory Support List” for memory support information.
- PCI-E 2.0 Graphics Interface
PCI-E 2.0 doubles the bus standard's bandwidth from 2.5 Gbit/s to 5 Gbit/s, meaning a x32 connector can transfer data at up to 16 GB/s in each direction. PCI-E 2.0 also features improvements to the point-to-point data transfer protocol and its software architecture.
- Pass HDMI 1.3 certification, support Full HD 1080p
HDMI is latest High-Definition Multimedia Interface, which is able to provide up to 5Gb/s video transmitting bandwidth and also multi-channel high quality audio. HDMI is able to reduce signal interference as transferring between digital and analog signal, seen and heard, direct from the source. GA-MA78GM-S2H has passed the latest HDMI 1.3 certification, able to support Full HD 1080p multi-media and HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection) which allowing Blu-ray/ HD DVD and other protected contents playback.
- Excellent Audio Performance
High-performance DAC (Digital-Analog Converter) with 106 dB Signal-to-Noise ratio playback quality, designed especially for Windows Vista Premium PCs.
- Blu-ray/HD DVD Full Rate Audio Support
The ALC889A enables high quality Full Rate Lossless Audio for content protected media and support for both Blu-ray and HD DVD formats for an exhilarating home theater entertainment experience.
- 7.1+2 Channel High Definition Output
The ALC889A provides support for 7.1 sound playback, plus 2 channels of independent stereo output (multiple streaming) through the front panel stereo outputs.
- Gigabit LAN connectivity
The Gigabit network interface delivers a high speed LAN connection with data transfer rate up to 1000Mb/s, providing new generation connectivity for the broadband era. Gigabit LAN is ideally for seamless internet connection such as streaming audio and video contents.
- SATA 3Gb/s & RAID
This platform supports reliable storage solution for enhanced data protection and data accessing performance. Serial ATA 3Gb/s is firstly introduced in this platform to provide blazingly 3Gb/s bus bandwidth thus higher disk performance. The SATA RAID allows multi-disk designs to be set up as RAID 0, 1, 0+1 based on users’ priority of protection/ performance, and which even makes more accessible by introducing the innovative windows-based facility.
- IEEE1394 motherboard
This motherboard with IEEE1394 FireWire interface from Texas Instruments (TI). With the transfer speed up to 400Mb/s, the new generation IEEE1394 interface further enhances PC connectivity with consumer electronics audio/video (A/V) appliances, and storage peripherals.
The Smart featured motherboards of GIGABYTE S series provide GIGABYTE proprietary innovative software such as Download Center, @BIOS, Q-Flash, Xpress Install, Boot menu, and Smart Fan. BIOS and driver management now becomes much easier and user friendly through GIGABYTE Smart features!
Safe is the key feature of GIGABYTE S series motherboards with the following elements: Excellent hardware design, reinforced BIOS protection through GIGABYTE Virtual Dual BIOS Technology and GIGABYTE BIOS Setting Recovery Technology. Unique system software such as Xpress Recovery 2, PC Health Monitor, HDD S.M.A.R.T., and C.O.M. further strengthen the stability and reliability of your PC!