Geil EvoOne DDR2 Reviewgotdamojo06 -
» Discuss this article (0)
The best way to verify whether one set of memory modules is better than another, is to run a series of benchmarks and put down some basic comparison data. When all things are equal, and the only variable is the module being tested, the results are a great way to compare performance. In order to eliminate the variables, the only settings that will be manipulated are the memory timings, and voltages when overclocking. The comparison modules will be run at the manufacturer specified timings and voltages at 800MHz, the common DDR2 speed. The Geil EvoOne DDR2 kit will be run at stock speeds as well as the highest possible overclock.
- Processor: Intel Core2 Quad Q9450 (Stock & 3.2GHz)
- Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X48-DQ6
- Memory: Geil EvoOne DDR2 800MHz 2x2GB 4-4-4-12
- Video Card: Sapphire HD4850
- Power Supply: Mushkin 800w Modular Power Supply
- Hard Drive: Seagate 1TB SATA
- Optical Drive: Lite-on DVD-RW
- Case: Cooler Master Cosmos S
- OS: Windows Vista Ultimate
- Comparison: Geil EvoOne DDR2 800MHz 2x2GB 4-4-4-12
- Comparison: A-DATA G Series DDR2 800 2x2GB 5-5-5-12
- Comparison: Mushkin Redline XP2 8000 2 x 2 GB 5-5-5-12
- Comparison: Geil EvoOne DDR2 1160MHz 2x2GB 5-8-8-22
CPU-Z: This application shows us the settings that we have chosen in the BIOS. Items shown in this application include CPU speed and bus settings, motherboard manufacturer, BIOS revisions, memory timings, and SPD chip information.
Task Manager: We use this utility to show physical memory, kernel memory, page file usage, and processor usage (%).
- Processor: Intel Q9450 @ 435x6 with 1.344 volts
- Memory: Geil EvoOne DDR2 800 @ 1160MHz @ 5-8-8-22 and 2.12 volts
When it came to overclocking the Geil EvoOne DDR2 2x2GB kit, it was quite easy to get those MHz a soaring! I was able to achieve 1160MHz while staying right around the 2.0 volts that the sticks are rated for. I was also able to keep the memory timings somewhat close to the stock timings of 4-4-4-12. They ended up being 5-8-8-22 when I overclocked the RAM. A 45% overclock on the RAM's clock speed is always a nice feat to accomplish. Acheiving these clock speeds was not very difficult, as all I really needed to do was loosen the timings, raise the voltages and change the divider while I upped the front side bus. I was able to keep the timmings at 5-5-5-15, however the speed of the RAM ended up being only 940MHz, so I decided to stay with the 1160MHz at 5-8-8-22 for benchmarking.
As an enthusiast community, we tend to push our hardware to the max all the time. At OverclockersClub, we do not condone running your hardware outside of the parameters set by the manufacturer, and will not be responsible for any damage to your hardware while trying to duplicate the results of our testing. With that out of the way, let the testing begin.
The benchmarks that will be used in this review include the following programs:
- CPU-Z Version 1.45
- Windows Task Manager
- PCMark Vantage
- SiSoft Sandra XII
- Company of Heros