Welcome Stranger to OCC!Login | Register

Belkin N1 Wireless Router, Desktop, Notebook, and USB Cards

skinny    -   July 8, 2007
» Discuss this article (5)

Testing:


Testing Setup:

Desktop -

  • AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+
  • MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum
  • 2 GB Kingston DDR1 3200
  • NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT
  • Zalman ZM460 APS
  • Plextor DVDR PX716A
  • Windows XP SP2


Laptop -

  • Dell Inspiron 1100
  • Intel Pentium 4 2.2 GHz
  • 512 MB, 266 MHz RAM
  • Windows XP SP2

 

Testing was fun (/sarcasm off).  In attempting to test the Desktop card, I found that I lost my network signal on average once every hour of active use, and if I left the computer for more than a few hours, the signal was always lost by the time I came back.  Once the signal was lost, no matter what I did, I could not get the signal to work without restarting the entire system.  Speed tests were useless, as the signal was intermittent, and changed strength constantly.  It did not matter if I had the antenna 3 feet or 20 feet from the router, I had the same issues.  Also, the antenna was constantly coming unplugged, to the point that I was ready to duct-tape it in place.  The cord for the antenna is only about three feet long, so if your computer is placed on the floor like mine usually is, you will find it to be impossible to place the antenna “in a high, unobstructed location”, as stated in the installation instructions.

Both the Notebook and USB cards performed well, with minimal connectivity issues at first.  Speed tests showed a slight improvement over my old notebook card (a five year old Dell Truemobile 1150 PC Card), but nothing earth-shattering.  

I did not have a feasible way to test the range on the desktop card, but by the time I got to this stage of testing, I was so frustrated with the issues with it, that it had already been uninstalled.  I went to test the range on the Notebook card, and found that I had lost the signal.  Every fix I had tried before, failed to fix it this time.  I attempted to uninstall and reinstall the card, and found that even though the Belkin programming said that it had completed its uninstall, everything was still there.  Repeated attempts to fix, remove, and even change to my old card, have had zero success.  Short of formatting the hard drive, I am running out of ideas.  I sense another call to Tech Support coming up.




  1. Introduction & Closer Look
  2. Installation
  3. Specifications
  4. Testing
  5. Conclusion
Random Pic
© 2001-2014 Overclockers Club ® Privacy Policy

Also part of our network: TalkAndroid, Android Forum, iPhone Informer, Neoseeker, and Used Audio Classifieds

Elapsed: 0.0273568630