ASUS ROG Maximus VI Extreme Reviewccokeman -
» Discuss this article (5)
ASUS ROG Maximus VI Extreme Specifications:
Intel® Socket 1150 for 4th Generation Core™ i7/Core™ i5/Core™ i3/Pentium®/Celeron® Processors
Supports Intel® 22 nm CPU
Supports Intel® Turbo Boost Technology 2.0
* The Intel® Turbo Boost Technology 2.0 support depends on the CPU types.
* Refer to www.asus.com for CPU support list
4 x DIMM, Max. 32GB, DDR3 3000(O.C.)/2933(O.C.)/2800(O.C.)/2666(O.C.)/2600(O.C.)/2500(O.C.)/2400(O.C.)/2200(O.C.)/2133(O.C.)/2000(O.C.)/1866(O.C.)/1800(O.C.)/1600/1333 MHz Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory
Dual Channel Memory Architecture
Supports Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (XMP)
* Hyper DIMM support is subject to the physical characteristics of individual CPUs.
* Refer to www.asus.com for the Memory QVL (Qualified Vendors Lists).
Integrated Graphics Processor
Multi-VGA output support : HDMI/DisplayPort ports
- Supports HDMI with max. resolution 4096 x 2160 @ 24 Hz / 2560 x 1600 @ 60 Hz
- Supports DisplayPort with max. resolution 4096 x 2160 @ 24 Hz / 3840 x 2160 @ 60 Hz
Supports Intel® InTru™ 3D, Quick Sync Video, Clear Video HD Technology, Insider™
Supports NVIDIA® 4-Way SLI™ Technology
Supports AMD CrossFireX™ Technology
5 x PCIe 3.0/2.0 x16 (x16 or dual x8 or x8/x16/x8 or x8/x16/x8/x8) *1
1 x PCIe 2.0 x4
1 x mini-PCIe 2.0 x1 *2
Intel® Z87 chipset : *3
6 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), red
Support Raid 0, 1, 5, 10
Supports Intel® Smart Response Technology, Intel® Rapid Start Technology, Intel® Smart Connect Technology *4
Intel® Z87 chipset :
1 x M.2 (NGFF) Socket 2 on mPCIe Combo II expansion card(s), black
Support M.2 (NGFF) Type 2242 SSD card (22mm x 42mm), Support PCI express 2.0 x1 and SATA 6Gb/s standards
ASMedia® ASM1061 controller : *5
4 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), red
Intel® I217V, 1 x Gigabit LAN Controller(s)
Wireless Data Network
Supports dual band frequency 2.4/5 GHz
Realtek® ALC1150 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC
- Supports : Jack-detection, Multi-streaming, Front Panel Jack-retasking
Audio Feature :
- Blu-ray audio layer Content Protection
- Optical S/PDIF out port(s) at back panel
Intel® Z87 chipset : *6
4 x USB 3.0 port(s) (2 at back panel, blue, 2 at mid-board)
Intel® Z87 chipset : *7
8 x USB 2.0 port(s) (2 at back panel, black, 6 at mid-board)
ASMedia® USB 3.0 controller :
4 x USB 3.0 port(s) (4 at back panel, blue)
2.6 " LCM display
EXTREME/NORMAL mode switch
EXTREME Mode for subzero OC benching:
- VGA Hotwire
- Subzero Sense
- Slow Mode
- Pause Switch
- VGA SMB header
- 4 x 4-pin extra fan connectors
NORMAL Mode for in-chassis usage:*8
- CPU Level Up OC button
- FanSpeed control button
- LCM backlight on/off button
- POWER?1 x SATA power connector
- ROG_EXT port?1 x 18-1 pin data connection port
ROG Exclusive Features
mPCIe Combo™ II (mPCIe/M.2 combo card)
ROG Connect :
- RC TweakIt
- RC Diagram
- RC Remote
- RC Poster
Extreme Engine Digi+ III :
- 8 + 2 phase power design
- NexFET™ Power Block MOSFET
- 60A BlackWing Chokes
- 10K Black Metallic Capacitors
ROG Extreme OC kit :
- Slow Mode
- LN2 Mode
- PCIe x16 Lane Switch
- EZ Plug
UEFI BIOS features :
- ROG BIOS Print
- GPU.DIMM Post
- Tweakers' Paradise
- ROG SSD Secure Erase
ASUS Dual Intelligent Processors 4 with 4-Way Optimization :
- The tuning key perfectly consolidates ASUS-exclusive DIGI+ Power Control, TPU, EPU, and Fan Xpert 2 optimize the digital power setting, system performance, power saving and whole system cooling configuration
CPU Level Up
ASUS Wi-Fi GO!
ASUS Exclusive Features :
- USB BIOS Flashback
- AI Suite 3
- Ai Charger+
- USB Charger+
- USB 3.0 Boost
- Disk Unlocker
ASUS EZ DIY :
- ASUS O.C. Profile
- ASUS CrashFree BIOS 3
- ASUS EZ Flash 2
ASUS Q-Design :
- ASUS Q-Shield
- ASUS Q-Code
- ASUS Q-LED (CPU, DRAM, VGA, Boot Device LED)
- ASUS Q-Slot
- ASUS Q-DIMM
- ASUS Q-Connector
Overclocking Protection :
- ASUS C.P.R.(CPU Parameter Recall)
Back I/O Ports
1 x PS/2 keyboard/mouse combo port(s)
1 x DisplayPort
1 x HDMI
1 x LAN (RJ45) port(s)
6 x USB 3.0 (blue)
2 x USB 2.0 (one port can be switched to ROG Connect)
1 x Optical S/PDIF out
6 x Audio jack(s)
1 x Clear CMOS button(s)
1 x ROG Connect On/ Off switch(es)
Internal I/O Ports
1 x USB 3.0 connector(s) support(s) additional 2 USB 3.0 port(s)
3 x USB 2.0 connector(s) support(s) additional 6 USB 2.0 port(s)
10 x SATA 6Gb/s connector(s)
1 x CPU Fan connector(s)
1 x CPU OPT Fan connector(s)
3 x Chassis Fan connector(s)
3 x Optional Fan connector(s)
1 x S/PDIF out header(s)
1 x 24-pin EATX Power connector(s)
1 x 8-pin ATX 12V Power connector(s)
1 x 4-pin ATX 12V Power connector(s)
1 x 6-pin EZ_PLUG Power connector(s)
1 x 4-pin EZ_PLUG Power connector(s)
1 x Front panel audio connector(s) (AAFP)
1 x System panel(s)
1 x DirectKey Button(s)
1 x DRCT header(s)
1 x MemOK! button(s)
1 x Slow Mode switch(es)
10 x ProbeIt Measurement Points
3 x Thermal sensor connector(s)
1 x LN2 Mode header(s)
1 x Power-on button(s)
1 x Reset button(s)
1 x BIOS Switch button(s)
1 x FastBoot switch(es)
1 x ROG extension (ROG_EXT) header(s)
1 x mPCIe Combo II connector(s)
10 x SATA 6Gb/s cable(s)
1 x ASUS 2T2R dual band Wi-Fi moving antennas (Wi-Fi 802.11a/b/g/n/ac compliant)
1 x 3-Way SLI bridge(s)
1 x 4-Way SLI bridge(s)
1 x SLI bridge(s)
1 x CrossFire cable(s)
1 x Q-connector(s) (2 in 1)
1 x ROG Connect cable(s)
1 x 12 in 1 ROG Cable Label(s)
1 x mPCIe Combo II card(s) with dual-band WiFi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac + Bluetooth v4.0/3.0+HS module
1 x ROG Magnet
OC Panel Kit:
- 1 x OC Panel(s)
- 1 x OC Panel 5.25-inch bay metal case
- 1 x OC Panel Cable(s)
64Mb UEFI AMI BIOS, PnP, DMI2.0, WfM2.0, SM BIOS 2.5, ACPI2.0a Multi-Language BIOS
WfM2.0, DMI2.0, WOL by PME, PXE
ROG Mem TweakIt
DAEMON Tools Pro Standard
ATX Form Factor
12 inch x 9.6 inch ( 30.5 cm x 24.4 cm )
*1: Native x8/x8 mode is available when only PCIE_X16/X8_1 and PCIE_X8_B2 slots are in used.
*2: The mini-PCIe slot is pre-installed with a Wi-Fi/Bluetooth module on mPCIe Combo II expansion card.
*3: SATA 6Gb/s port 5 will be disabled when M.2 slot on mPCIe Combo II is in use.
*4: The functions support depends on the CPU types.
*5: These SATA ports are for data hard drives only. ATAPI devices are not supported.
*6: Support ASUS USB 3.0 Boost, UASP standard on the Intel native USB 3.0 is only supported under Windows® 8.
*7: 2 x USB2.0 ports at mid-board shares with ROG extension (ROG_EXT) port.
*8: One 5.25" drive bay is required for NORMAL Mode installation.
ASUS ROG Maximus VI Extreme Features:
- SupremeFX: Supremacy through discrete-caliber audio: ROG-exclusive technology implements multi-approach shielding, with ELNA audio capacitors helping offer 8-channel HD sound that's equal in power, clarity, and range to dedicated sound cards. This is the first-ever onboard sound capable of true audiophile-grade performance, set to revolutionize the way you hear games, movies, music, and even other people via chat. Discover a whole new dimension of superior audio and get ready to rule.SupremeFX shielding: ensures precision analog/digital separation and greatly reduced multi-lateral interference from within the PCB and from other components. EMI protection cover: protects HD audio chip from interference to ensure sound quality. ELNA premium Japan-made audio capacitors: provide warm, natural, and immersive sound with exceptional clarity and fidelity that are great for game effects and multimedia.
- OC Panel: Overclocking command center. Get your hands on real-time system monitoring and tweaking in two modes. Normal Mode has OC Panel inside the case, while in Extreme Mode it works as an external console. For both, its clear 2.6” display keeps you fully informed and in control of maximum available power. Click the upper right tab to learn more!
- Extreme Engine Digi+ III: Hardcore power delivery with premium components. Completely digital architecture supplies the highest stability and precision for the CPU and memory, featuring dynamic speed adjustments. Power components are also upgraded. NexFET MOSFETs handle up to 90% efficiency under normal operation and better durability in half the size of standard MOSFETs. Exclusive BlackWing chokes remain cool even when sizzling with as much as 60 amps of power with 3-5°C lower temps and minimal-loss power delivery. Japan-made 10K Black Metallic capacitors last five times longer and deliver 20% greater extreme temperature endurance than generic solid state capacitors, easily standing up to hardcore demands.
- Upgraded UEFI BIOS: Most award-winning in segment,The new ROG UEFI BIOS includes a Last Modified feature that records recent changes. And to make sure you never forget a tuning idea, the in-BIOS Quick Note is perfect for jotting down memos and system details. It sure beats easily-misplaced paper notes! There’s also F4 My Favorites and Shortcuts for easy access to the BIOS features you need most, and you can even adjust boot logo size. The new BIOS also lets you name individual SATA ports so you can easily identify them to save time when defining boot sequences and other drive-related settings.With ROG Pulse, a cool flashing ROG logo indicates system activity, and very importantly, the helpful SSD Secure Erase has been added, restoring SSD speed from inside the BIOS and with no need for less compatible third party utilities. Click the upper right tab to learn more.
- mPCIe Combo II with 802.11ac/Bluetooth 4.0: Extra connections with M.2 (NGFF) support;The next evolution of the mPCIe Combo card gives you even better expandability with the latest standards in connectivity and easy install. You get mini PCI Express 2.0 plus USB 2.0 with an included dual-band 2.4GHz/5GHz Wi-Fi 802.11ac and Bluetooth 4.0 module, powered by ASUS-exclusive Wi-Fi GO! Remote and Wi-Fi Engine, which maximize performance for better experiences. It’s an instant upgrade to the fastest wireless right on your desktop. All without having to sacrifice a PCI Express slot! The compact but versatile mPCIe Combo II further future-proofs your build with Next Generation Form Factor (NGFF) connectivity for SSDs. NGFF is a fast and power-efficient standard that aims to replace mPCIe and mSATA, designed to optimize SSD performance. mPCIe Combo II works with your high speed NGFF SSDs and makes the most of their potential, helping you reduce load times to run your OS and games even faster.
- 4-way SLI™/CrossFireX™ support: Perfect spacing and excellent PCI Express 3.0 performance, Unique ROG design supports 4-way SLI™/CrossFireX™ and enables their full power for latency-free graphics, while an onboard PCIe 3.0 x16 switch allows you to adjust configurations for the best graphics output.
- SSD Secure Erase: Recover lost performance. Back to high speed SSD performance degrades with time due to overwrite action. ROG is the world’s first motherboard brand to integrate SSD Secure Erase into UEFI BIOS for better compatibility and easier use, offering the best removal method to completely delete all data on an SSD to recover lost performance and restore factory speeds.
- 2nd generation T-Topology: 5%+ full load OC margin and 10%+ with one DIMM, For extreme memory overclocking under full load, ASUS developed the world’s first 2nd generation T-Topology. It further optimizes layout to minimize coupling noise and signal reflection, increasing DRAM overclocking. Testing shows around 5% more OC margin under full load, and 10% OC margin growth for one-DIMM configurations.
- Dual Intelligent Processors 4 with 4-Way Optimization: One click for better performance, efficiency, digital power control, reduced noise, and improved cooling.
- Kaspersky® Anti-Virus: The best protection from viruses and spyware Kaspersky® Anti-Virus Personal offers premium antivirus protection for individual users and home offices. It is based on advanced antivirus technologies. The product incorporates the Kaspersky® Anti-Virus engine, which is renowned for malicious program detection rates that are among the industry's highest.
> Upgrade free to Kaspersky® Anti-Virus 2013 for Windows 8 (full version)
- DAEMON Tools Pro Standard: The real tool for optical and virtual discs, DAEMON Tools Pro offers essential functionality to backup CD, DVD and Blu-ray discs. It converts optical media into virtual discs and emulates devices to work with the virtual copies. DAEMON Tools Pro organizes data, music, video and photo collections on a PC, notebook or netbook.
- ROG CPU-Z: Whole new design of CPU-Z ROG CPU-Z is a customized ROG version authorized by CPUID. It has the same functionality and credibility as the original version, with a unique design. Use the whole new look of ROG CPU-Z to truly report your CPU related information and your uniqueness.
- Mem TweakIt: Dynamic timing adjustments, DRAM efficiency gauge When changing DRAM settings in BIOS, it always takes time for the system to reboot. Worry no more! With Mem TweakIt, you can do DRAM tuning in real-time and view your DRAM efficiency score.
- Intel® LGA1150 4th Generation Core™ i7/Core™ i5/Core™ i3/Pentium®/Celeron® Processors Ready: This motherboard supports Intel® 4th generation Core™ i7/i5/i3/Pentium®/Celeron® processors in the LGA1150 package, with iGPU, memory and PCI Express controllers integrated to support onboard graphics output with dedicated chipsets, 2-channel (4 DIMM) DDR3 memory and 16 PCI Express 3.0/2.0 lanes. This provides great graphics performance. Intel® 4th generation Core™ i7/i5/i3/Pentium®/Celeron® processors are among the most powerful and energy efficient CPUs in the world.
- Intel® H87 Express Chipset: The Intel® H87 Express chipset is a single-chipset design that supports socket LGA1150 4th generation Intel® Core™ i7/i5/i3/Pentium®/Celeron® processors. It provides improved performance by utilizing serial point-to-point links, allowing increased bandwidth and stability. It natively supports up to six USB 3.0 ports for up to ten times faster transfer rates than USB 2.0. Moreover, the Intel® H87 Express chipset also supports iGPU functionality, letting users enjoy the latest Intel integrated graphics performance.
- GreenASUS: Motherboards are EU Energy-related Products (ErP) ready, which requires products meet high efficiency standards with regards to energy consumption. This is in line with the ASUS vision of creating environmentally-friendly and energy-efficient products through design and innovation that reduce the carbon footprint of products and thus mitigate ecological impact.
All information courtesy of ASUS @ //www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/MAXIMUS_VI_EXTREME/#overview