ASRock Z77 OC Formula Reviewccokeman - October 30, 2012
» Discuss this article (1)
Supports 3rd and 2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i7 / i5 / i3 in LGA1155 Package
12 + 4 Power Phase Design
Supports Intel® Turbo Boost 2.0 Technology
Supports Intel® K-Series unlocked CPU
Supports Hyper-Threading Technology
Supports Intel® Rapid Start Technology and Smart Connect Technology
*Intel® Rapid Start Technology and Smart Connect Technology are only supported under Windows® 7 OS or later versions.
Dual Channel DDR3 memory technology
4 x DDR3 DIMM slots
Supports DDR3 3000+(OC)/2800(OC)/2666(OC)/2400(OC)/2133(OC)/1866(OC)/1600/1333/1066 non-ECC, un-buffered memory
Max. capacity of system memory: 32GB*
Supports Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (XMP) 1.3 / 1.2
*Due to the operating system limitation, the actual memory size may be less than 4GB for the reservation for system usage under Windows® 32-bit OS. For Windows® 64-bit OS with 64-bit CPU, there is no such limitation.
64Mb AMI UEFI Legal BIOS with GUI support
Supports "Plug and Play"
ACPI 1.1 Compliance Wake Up Events
SMBIOS 2.3.1 Support
CPU Core, IGPU, DRAM, 1.8V PLL, VTT, VCCSA Voltage Multi-adjustment
Audio, Video and Networking
Supports Intel® HD Graphics Built-in Visuals : Intel® Quick Sync Video 2.0, Intel® InTru™ 3D, Intel® Clear Video HD Technology, Intel® Insider™, Intel® HD Graphics 2500/4000 with Intel® Ivy Bridge CPU
Supports Intel® HD Graphics Built-in Visuals : Intel® Quick Sync Video, Intel® InTru™ 3D, Intel® Clear Video HD Technology, Intel® HD Graphics 2000/3000, Intel® Advanced Vector Extensions (AVX) with Intel® Sandy Bridge CPU
Pixel Shader 5.0, DirectX 11 with Intel® Ivy Bridge CPU. Pixel Shader 4.1, DirectX 10.1 with Intel® Sandy Bridge CPU
Max. shared memory 1760MB with Intel® Ivy Bridge CPU. Max. shared memory 1759MB with Intel® Sandy Bridge CPU
Multi VGA Output options: D-Sub, DVI-D and HDMI
Supports HDMI 1.4a Technology with max. resolution up to 1920x1200 @ 60Hz
Supports DVI with max. resolution up to 1920x1200 @ 60Hz
Supports D-Sub with max. resolution up to 2048x1536 @ 75Hz
Supports Auto Lip Sync, Deep Color (12bpc), xvYCC and HBR (High Bit Rate Audio) with HDMI (Compliant HDMI monitor is required)
Supports HDCP function with DVI and HDMI ports
Supports Full HD 1080p Blu-ray (BD) / HD-DVD playback with DVI and HDMI ports
*Intel® HD Graphics Built-in Visuals and the VGA outputs can be supported only with processors which are GPU integrated.
**Due to chipset limitation, the Blu-ray playback of Intel® HD Graphics is only supported under Windows® Vista™ and Windows® 7.
***Intel® InTru™ 3D is only supported under Windows® 7 and Windows® 7 x64.
7.1 CH HD Audio with Content Protection (Realtek ALC898 Audio Codec)
Premium Blu-ray audio support
Supports THX TruStudio™
PCIE x1 Gigabit LAN 10/100/1000 Mb/s
Supports Energy Efficient Ethernet 802.3az
Expansion / Connectivity
2 x PCI Express 3.0 x16 slots (PCIE2/PCIE4: single at x16 (PCIE2) / x8 (PCIE4) or dual at x8/x8 mode)
1 x PCI Express 2.0 x16 slot (PCIE5: x4 mode)
2 x PCI Express 2.0 x1 slots
Supports AMD Quad CrossFireX™, 3-Way CrossFireX™ and CrossFireX™
Supports NVIDIA® Quad SLI™ and SLI™
*PCIe Gen3 is supported on 3rd Generation of Intel® Core™ i5 and Core™ i7 CPUs.
2 x SATA3 6.0 Gb/s connectors by Intel® Z77, support RAID (RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5, RAID 10, Intel® Rapid Storage and Intel® Smart Response Technology), NCQ, AHCI and "Hot Plug" functions
4 x SATA3 6.0 Gb/s connectors by Marvell SE9172, support RAID (RAID 0 and RAID 1), NCQ, AHCI and "Hot Plug" functions
2 x Rear USB 3.0 ports by Intel® Z77, support USB 1.0/2.0/3.0 up to 5Gb/s
4 x Rear USB 3.0 ports by Etron EJ188H, support USB 1.0/2.0/3.0 up to 5Gb/s
1 x Front USB 3.0 header by Intel® Z77 (supports 2 USB 3.0 ports), supports USB 1.0/2.0/3.0 up to 5Gb/s
4 x SATA2 3.0 Gb/s connectors, support RAID (RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5, RAID 10, Intel® Rapid Storage and Intel® Smart Response Technology), NCQ, AHCI and Hot Plug functions
6 x SATA3 6.0 Gb/s connectors
1 x IR header
1 x CIR header
1 x COM port header
1 x HDMI_SPDIF header
1 x Power LED header
V-Probe™: 2 x 7-set of onboard voltage measurement points laid
2 x CPU Fan connectors (1 x 4-pin, 1 x 3-pin)
4 x Chassis Fan connectors (1 x 4-pin, 3 x 3-pin)
1 x Power Fan connector (3-pin)
1 x MOS Fan connector (3-pin)
24 pin ATX power connector
8 pin 12V power connector
4 pin 12V power connector
SLI/XFire power connector
Front panel audio connector
3 x USB 2.0 headers (support 6 USB 2.0 ports)
1 x USB 3.0 header (supports 2 USB 3.0 ports)
1 x Dr. Debug with LED
1 x Power Switch with LED
1 x Reset Switch with LED
1 x Clear CMOS Switch with LED
Rapid OC Button: +/- buttons to adjust OC frequency
1 x PCIe ON/OFF Switch
1 x Post Status Checker (PSC)
Rear Panel I/O
1 x PS/2 Mouse/Keyboard Port
1 x HDMI Port
1 x Optical SPDIF Out Port
4 x Ready-to-Use USB 2.0 Ports
6 x Ready-to-Use USB 3.0 Ports
1 x RJ-45 LAN Ports with LED (ACT/LINK LED and SPEED LED)
1 x Clear CMOS Switch with LED
HD Audio Jack: Rear Speaker / Central / Bass / Line in / Front Speaker / Microphone
Other Features / Miscellaneous
OC Formula Kit
OC Formula Power Kit
Dual-Stack MOSFET (DSM)
Multiple Filter Cap (MFC) (Filter different noise by 3 different capacitors: DIP solid cap, POSCAP and MLCC)
Premium Alloy Choke (Reduce 70% core loss compare to iron powder choke)
OC Formula Connector Kit
Hi-Density Power Connector
15μGold Finger (CPU and memory sockets)?
OC Formula Cooling Kit
Twin-Power Cooling (Combine active air cooling and water cooling)
8 Layer PCB, 4 x 2oz copper
GELID Solutions GC-Extreme Thermal Compound
ASRock Instant Boot
ASRock Instant Flash
ASRock APP Charger
ASRock XFast USB
ASRock XFast LAN
ASRock XFast RAM
ASRock Crashless BIOS
ASRock OMG (Online Management Guard)
ASRock Internet Flash
ASRock UEFI System Browser
ASRock Dehumidifier Function
ASRock Interactive UEFI
NickShih's OC Profile
Lucid Virtu Universal MVP
Boot Failure Guard (B.F.G.)
Combo Cooler Option (C.C.O.)
Good Night LED
*Lucid Virtu Universal MVP can be supported only with processors which are GPU integrated.
**LucidLogix Virtu MVP only supports Windows® 7 OS or later versions.
Drivers, Utilities, AntiVirus Software (Trial Version), CyberLink MediaEspresso 6.5 Trial, ASRock MAGIX Multimedia Suite - OEM
1 x ASRock SLI_Bridge_2S Card
Quick Installation Guide, Support CD, I/O Shield
6 x SATA Data Cables
2 x SATA 1 to 1 Power Cables
1 x Front USB 3.0 Panel
4 x HDD Screws
6 x Chassis Screws
1 x Rear USB 3.0 Bracket
10 x OC Stands
GELID GC-Extreme Thermal Compound
CPU/Chassis/Power/MOS Temperature Sensing
CPU/Chassis/Power/MOS Fan Tachometer
CPU/Chassis/MOS Quiet Fan (Allows Chassis Fan Speed Auto-Adjust by CPU Temperature)
CPU/Chassis/MOS Fan Multi-Speed Control
Multi Thermal Sensor
Voltage Monitoring: +12V, +5V, +3.3V, CPU Vcore
EATX Form Factor: 12.0-in x 10.5-in, 30.5 cm x 26.7 cm
Premium Gold Capacitor design (100% Japan-made high-quality Conductive Polymer Capacitors)
Microsoft® Windows® 7 / 7 64-bit / Vista™ / Vista™ 64-bit / XP / XP 64-bit compliant
FCC, CE, WHQL
ErP/EuP Ready (ErP/EuP ready power supply is required)
- 12 + 4 Power Phase Design: ASRock Z77 OC Formula is designed with a 12 + 4 Power Phase design. It features sturdy components and completely smooth power delivery to the CPU. Plus, it offers unmatched overclocking capability and enhanced performance with the lowest temperature for advanced gamers as well.
- Premium Alloy Choke (PAC): Compared to iron powder choke, the new Premium Alloy Choke technology on ASRock OC Formula Motherboard Series highlights a special alloy formula which is able to reduce up to 70% core loss. The revolutionary choke construction features a highly-magnetic and heat-resistant design, increasing the board’s lifespan as well.
- Dual-Stack MOSFET (DSM): DSM is an innovative new design of MOSFETs. The silicon die area is increased by stacking two dies into a MOSFET. The larger the die area, the lower Rds(on). Compared to traditional discrete MOSFET, DSM can provide larger die area and lower Rds(on), so the power supply for CPU Vcore is more efficient.
- Digi Power: Z77 OC Formula is equipped with CHIL 8328 silicon which features a new digital PWM (Pulse-Width Modulation) design, providing CPU Vcore voltage more efficiently and smoothly.
- Multiple Filter Cap (MFC): The ASRock Z77 OC Formula features a new capacitor design called MFC (Multiple Filter Cap), which includes a combination of highly conductive MLCC, DIP caps and POSCAP. MFC helps the system filter noise from high-freq, mid-freq to low-freq noise, delivering enhanced and higher current to the CPU. With the combined power of three capacitors, MFC allows users to overclock their PC rig to extreme levels without worrying about the hardware components.
- Twin-Power Cooling: Twin-Power Cooling combines active air cooling with water cooling. The ultimate heatpipe cooling design maximizes the system’s convection to expel hot air out, providing great air flow and faster heat dissipation.
- 8 Layer PCB, 4 x 2oz Copper: Brilliantly designed to boost performance with the lowest temperature, ASRock Z77 OC Formula is built on an 8-layer-PCB design. It comes with 4 sets of 2 ounces copper inner layers, using only carefully selected copper materials for PCB layers, delivering lower temperature and higher energy efficiency for overclocking.
- GELID Solutions GC-Extreme Thermal Compound: GELID Solutions GC-Extreme Thermal Compound is an added bonus included in ASRock Z77 OC Formula which allows overclockers to stabilize the CPU’s temperature. Created for extreme users on highest level, the GC-Extreme Thermal Compound achieves the best heat conductivity from your CPU, VGA or even Chipset to your cooler. Not only keeping your rig cool, the GELID GC-Extreme can also make the compound non-freezing even at low temperatures when doing LN2 extreme overclocking.
- Hi-Density Power Connector: Hi-Density Power Connector features a solid square-pin design. ASRock Z77 OC Formula is equipped with two High-Density Power Connectors, one for the CPU Power connector, and one for the 24-pin ATX power connector. The optimized design supplies current to the power more efficiently and achieves better electric conduction. Overall, Hi-Density Power Connector can reduce 23% power loss and decrease system temperature up to 22?.
- 15μ Gold Finger: ASRock has embedded 15μ Gold Finger for both CPU sockets and DRAM slots. Compared to other boards that come with only 3-4μ, ASRock Z77 OC Formula provides 15μgold components within the sockets, delivering triple performance than usual. With the unprecedented 15μ gold-inside design, overclocking the CPU and memory is easier than ever.
- NickShih’s OC Profile: Have you ever wondered how the global OC champion overclocks his motherboards? Now you’ve got a chance to learn a few tricks from the champion with NickShih’s OC Profile. It doesn’t matter whether you’re using a K-Series or No-K Series CPU, NickShih’s OC Profile will automatically detect your CPU and offer you different levels of overclocking. Have a taste of Nick’s secret recipe for overclocking this motherboard instantly.
- Formula Drive: ASRock Formula Drive is an all-in-one software to fine-tune different features in an user-friendly interface, which includes Hardware Monitor, FAN-tastic Tuning, Overclocking, OC DNA, IES, XFast RAM and Multi Thermal Sensor.
- Multi Thermal Sensor: Multi Thermal Sensor is a new feature specially designed for ASRock Z77 OC Formula. It provides users the temperature of various parts of the motherboard graphically in ASRock UEFI Setup Utility, so that users may precisely keep track and control of the temperature of each parts of their motherboard when overclocking.
- Rapid OC – Quick & Fast Adjust OC Frequency: The onboard Rapid OC button allows novice overclockers to manually raise and lower the CPU ratio, BCLK frequency and CPU VCore voltage, while serious OC enthusiasts can use it to get the highest level of overclocking performance from their system and find their CPU’s best margin.
- FAN-Tastic Tuning: FAN-Tastic Tuning offers the flexibility to adjust the fan speed (RPM) relative to the system temperature. Users are able to adjust the setting by clicking the "+/-" and confirm by "APPLY" afterwards.
- PCIe ON/OFF: For those who constantly need to remove then reinstall their PCIe cards back into the PCIe slots and fear of damaging the motherboard and its components, ASRock has added three PCIe ON/OFF switches to enable or disable the PCIe slots in a flick of your finger.
- Fine-Tuning V-Controller: Fine-Tuning V-Controller is a new collection of voltage fine tuning options in ASRock UEFI Setup Utility. It provides more than enough voltage configuration options for overclockers who wish to pursuit extremes.
- V-Probe: V-Probe™ is a 7-set of detection points laid on this motherboard. It allows overclockers to easily and quickly get the accurate voltage readings via the multitester.
- Timing Configurator: Timing Configurator is a fast and easy tool that provides users with an abundant collection of subtle DRAM settings for professional tweaking. You won’t even have to waste time on entering into the UEFI or restarting the system, Timing Configurator is an independent application that runs under Windows® OS and your changes will take effect immediately.
- OC Stands: Free gift includes 10 pcs of OC Stands. Those small, portable OC Stands help overclockers to easily setup an OC Formula system without chassis. Plus, it ensures greater airflow for extreme overclocking as well.
- Interactive UEFI: ASRock Interactive UEFI is a blend of system configuration tools, cool sound effects and stunning visuals. The unprecedented UEFI provides a more attractive interface and brings a lot more amusing.
- XFast 555 Technology : XFast RAM / XFast LAN / XFast USB: Fully Optimize Memory Usage, Faster Internet Access, Boosts up your USB speed 5X Faster for Photoshop Execution, XFast RAM will create a virtual disk from the system memory to boost the performance. For Photoshop, It can even perform 5X faster than before. Lower Latency In Game, XFast LAN can lower latency in the game after setting online game priority higher.
- Virtu Universal MVP - Uncompromised Game Response Performance: ASRock motherboard support Lucid Virtu Universal MVP technology that improves your PC’s visuals, with faster response times, improved video processing and smoother media playback, all with low power consumption. Brilliantly designed for gaming, Virtu Universal MVP™ switchable graphics software assigns tasks dynamically to the best graphics resource and features two exciting techniques – HyperFormance™ and Virtual Vsync™.
- Intel® Smart Connect Technology keeps content always up-to-date! It means that your email, favorite apps, and social networks are continually and automatically updated even when the system is asleep. Smart Connect will periodically wake up the PC while in a sleep state and check updates for things like email, Twitter, Facebook, etc. No more waiting for the latest world news or friends’ updates to be delivered—just enable this function and you’re up-to-date and ready to go. * Intel® Smart Connect Technology is only supported under Windows® 7 OS or later versions.
- Intel® Rapid Start Technology gets your device up and running faster from even the deepest sleep, saving time and battery life. It quickly returns where you left off with a PC that goes from deep-sleep to full awake in a flash. The ultra-responsive capability gives your device the power to quickly resume to Windows® 7 OS within few seconds and ensures ultra-low power consumption when on standby. With Intel® Rapid Start Technology, users can jump right back into everything they were doing! * Intel® Rapid Start Technology is only supported under Windows® 7 OS or later versions.
- Intel® Smart Response Technology accelerates the system response experience by putting frequently-used blocks of disk data on a solid-state drive (SSD), providing dramatically faster access to user data than the hard disk alone can provide. For users who are tempted to connect the SSD and HDD on ASRock motherboard, Intel® Smart Response Technology can make the SSD become the "Cache of the HDD" to boost up the HDD access speed. ASRock motherboards with Intel® Smart Response Technology are able to drive 4X faster performance boost than a HDD-only system.
- Dehumidifier: Users may prevent motherboard damages due to dampness by enabling “Dehumidifier Function”. When enabling Dehumidifier Function, the computer will power on automatically to dehumidify the system after entering S4/S5 state.
- ASRock OMG (Online Management Guard): Fast, Easy and Free – ASRock OMG technology allows you to establish an internet curfew or restrict internet access at specified times. Administrators are able to schedule the starting and ending hours of internet access granted to other users. Normally, ISPs (Internet Service Provider) will charge for internet curfew service. The service controls “all” the PCs connected at home through network remotely but all the PCs in that network will be restricted to access the internet at pre-setup times. However, ASRock OMG is a free tool for controlling internet access of each single PC. Parents can easily control internet access through BIOS setup to protect their kids from using Internet at inappropriate time, and meanwhile, enjoy their own internet space.
- Internet Flash: Internet Flash searches for available UEFI firmware updates from ASRock servers. System can auto-detect the latest UEFI from our servers and flash them within UEFI setup without entering Windows® OS.
- Premium Gold Caps: Top-Class Quality Guaranteed Premium Gold Caps are luxury capacitors. These 100% Japan-made solid capacitors are sleek, high gloss caps with a premium gold coating representing long life and stable performance.
- Digi Power: More Precise, More Efficient By adopting digital pulse-width modulation (PWM), the ASRock motherboard can provide CPU Vcore voltage more efficiently and smoothly. Compared to analog PWM, digital PWM can optimize the CPU power solution and provide a proper and stable Vcore for the processor. 8+4 Power Phase, This motherboard is designed with a 8 + 4 Power Phase design. It features sturdy components and completely smooth power delivery to the CPU. Plus, it offers unmatched overclocking capability and enhanced performance with the lowest temperature for advanced gamers as well.
- 4 x DDR3 3000+(OC): This motherboard unlocks maximum memory performance, coming with 4 DIMM slots for dual-channel memory, supporting up to DDR3 3000+ (OC) MHz!
- Next-Gen PCI-E 3.0 Support: The ASRock motherboards support the Next-Gen PCI-E 3.0! PCI Express 3.0 can maximize the bandwidth for the next-gen PCI Express 3.0 VGA cards, provide ultimate graphics performance. Get PCI-E 3.0 Benefits, Higher bit rate - 8.0GT/s, Higher bandwidth per lane - 1GB/s, Higher efficiency - 98.5% encoding efficiency. 100% backward compatible with previous PCI-E 2.0 / 1.0 standard, PCIe Gen3 is supported on 3rd Generation of Intel® Core i5 and Core i7 CPUs.
- Intel® HD Graphics Built-in Visuals: Intel® HD Graphics, simplifies your designs by eliminating additional discrete graphics hardware, while integrating stunning visuals and performance for immersive gaming. Note: Intel® HD Graphics Built-in Visuals is supported only with processors which are GPU integrated.
- THX TruStudio is specially designed to bring the same great audio experience found in live performances, films, and recording studios to the PC.
- Graphical UEFI – The Revolutionary BIOS Interface: Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) is a revolutionary BIOS utility which offers tweak-friendly options in an advanced viewing interface. Compared with traditional BIOS design, the latest UEFI utility provides lots improved functions. The major features of UEFI include: Graphical Visual Experience – UEFI provides an improved visual interface with colorful icons and makes your computing environment more versatile to replace the traditional dull BIOS page, Mouse Enabling – Besides keyboard control, you can freely use mouse to select your ideal settings in UEFI as well. Supports 3TB bootable HDD - UEFI breaks the limitations of 2TB bootable HDD on traditional BIOS. With UEFI, you can enjoy 3TB bootable HDD size.* *Windows® Vista™ 64bit or Windows® 7 64bit OS is required.
- UEFI system browser is a useful tool included in graphical UEFI. It can detect the devices and configurations that users are currently using in their PC. With the UEFI system browser, you can easily examine the current system configuration in UEFI setup.
- AXTU - The All-in-1 Tuning Software: ASRock Extreme Tuning Utility (AXTU) is an all-in-one software to fine-tune different features in an user-friendly interface, which includes Hardware Monitor, Fan Control, Overclocking, OC DNA, IES and XFast RAM. In Hardware Monitor, it shows the major readings of your system. In Fan Control, it shows the fan speed and temperature for you to adjust. In Overclocking, you are allowed to adjust the CPU frequency, ratio and some voltages for optimal system performance. In OC DNA, you can save your OC settings as a profile and share with your friends. Your friends then can load the OC profile to their own system to get the same OC settings. In IES (Intelligent Energy Saver), the voltage regulator can reduce the number of output phases to improve efficiency when the CPU cores are idle without sacrificing computing performance. In XFast RAM, it fully utilizes the memory space that cannot be used under Windows® OS 32-bit CPU.
- Free Bundle - Cyberlink MediaEspresso 6.5 Trial: CyberLink MediaEspresso 6.5 trial now supports hardware transcoding and is optimized to accelerate conversion of all your favorite media files for your favorite portable players. Now you can easily display your favorite movies, songs and photos on iPhone, iPad, PSP, Xbox, Youtube, Facebook etc. Compile, convert and enjoy images and songs as much as you want and enhance your videos to new levels with TrueTheater Technology. Try it today! Limitations: 30-day trial limitation, Convert videos to the H.264 format 50 times,
- MAGIX Multimedia Suite: The ultimate solutions to enhance your media experience. From music management, music creation, video editing to photo management. Simply do more with your media than you ever thought possible. mufin player, The next generation music player plays all standard audio formats, manages large music collections, helps you discover music, offers a free online hard drive and more. Music Maker Silver: The easiest way to arrange, remix, record and create your own music. Develop your musical style now - without any prior skills. Video easy SE: With this program you can easily edit your movies, add transitions, text and background music, and even quickly enhance image and sound quality. Photo Manager 10: Put an end to your digital photo chaos and organize your photo collection with ease. The program is fully equipped for fast import, photo and video clip management, photo editing and presentation.
All information courtesy of Asrock @ http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z77%20OC%20Formula/