Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth Blasting Off October 24Category: Gaming
Posted: July 3, 2014 10:39AM
Officially announced in April, Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth will be releasing globally on October 24, 2014 for $49.99. Beyond Earth brings the Civilization franchise to space with elements from Alpha Centauri. While the game is a turn-based strategy game played on a hexagonal grid with a lot of gameplay mechanics that will be instantly recognizable to any Civilization fan, Beyond Earth features a lot of drastic differences: custom civilizations based on pre-game decisions, an asymmetric start, a "technology web", and native life that affect gameplay even into the end game.
Civilization: Beyond Earth is coming exclusively to Windows, though previous entries have Mac and Linux support, so it's likely that'll come in the future. Pre-ordering the game provides the Exoplanets Map Pack at launch, which includes "six custom maps inspired by real exoplanets:"
- Kepler 186f: This lush forest planet is one of the oldest known Earth-like planets;
- Rigil Khantoris Bb: Orbiting the closest star to our solar system, the historical records of this arid continental planet's settlement are well-preserved;
- Tau Ceti d: This planet of seas and archipelagos features a booming biodiversity and a wealth of resources;
- Mu Arae f: Tidally locked in orbit around a weak star, the southern hemisphere of this planet is a blistering desert where the sun never sets, while the northern hemisphere is perpetually in frozen darkness;
- 82 Eridani e: An alien world of scarce water and wracked by tectonic forces;
- Eta Vulpeculae b: A mysterious new discovery with unknown terrain.
Source: Press Release