Edmund McMillen Addresses The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth in New Q&A
Back in November 2012, The Binding of Isaac creator Edmund McMillen took to his blog to officially announce a remake entitled The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth. Earlier today, McMillen posted a new blog entry that addresses all the burning questions fans have been bombarding him with via email, Tumblr, and Twitter.
NOTE: These questions have been copied directly, typos and all. If foul language offends you, I advise you to stop reading.
- Why are you making a remake already!!??
- Why did you change the art style for rebirth!? (ps i hate it!)
- Ive seen pics and i hate the way the game looks! why are you such a foolish mongo!?
- Is rebirth an expansion? and what will make it different than the old game?
- Will rebirth support my XYZ controller?!
- Is rebirth still in flash!?
- Will rebirth be full screen and have resolution options that don't suck!?
- Are you taking preorders? and if i own isaac do i get a discount!??
- Are you doing early access?!
- What platforms is rebirth coming out on?!! and why isn't it coming out on XYZ!!!!
- Why no Nintendo!!! I FUCKING HATE YOU!
- Can i switch art styles back to the flash look?
- Will the music for rebirth get the same overhaul that the graphics and gameplay did or are you just phoning it in!?
- I hear there will be multiplayer! tell me more about it! or else!
- I heard a rumor that you will be adding some thing to the game that i hate! why are you doing that! why are you breaking the game i love so much you asshole!?
- When will rebirth release? i want a fucking date! give me a date!!!!
- Will you be adding day one DLC?! i feel like the game is already ending and i need moar!!!! tell me you will be making dlc!!!!
- I heard you arent even working on rebirth! what the hell are you doing on it anyway!?
- Are you going to fix all those damn bugs?! you shit ass asshole!
- Will rebirth actually run well on my pc!?
- Will you support daily runs or shared seeds so i can stream against other players online!?
- Will i be able to show off my isaac once i finish a game?
- What stage of development are you?
- How many people are working on rebirth? and is florian still working on it?
- Will rebirth feature new playable characters?
- Will rebirth feature more items, if so how many?
- Will rebirth feature more endings and chapters?
While some of the questions and answers are humorous and sarcastic, there are some interesting tidbits of information scattered throughout, such as there being three new playable characters, over 150 new items, new room types, and new secret areas. Because Rebirth is not being made in Flash like the original game was, McMillen also confirmed that there will be your typical resolution support and full screen support as found in other non-Flash games, along with various visual effects, such as fog, lighting, moving foliage, puddles, etc.
The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth continues to be scheduled for Steam, PlayStation 4, and PlayStation Vita, but McMillen hasn't ruled out other platforms, such as an iPad version if the controls work. A Nintendo 3DS release still seems unlikely though, due to Nintendo's publishing rules and the "religious aspects" portrayed in the game. PlayStation Plus subscribers will have access to the game for free on PS4 and Vita, while Steam users will receive a "very sizable loyalty discount" if they own the first game.
Sadly, we still do not have a release date, with McMillen simply stating that 85% of the art is done and almost all the original game's content has been remade in the new engine. He is still planning for a 2014 release.
Source: Edmund McMillen