CD Projekt RED Unveils New RPG - Cyberpunk
CD Projekt RED Group, the development studio behind the popular The Witcher series, held its highly anticipated Summer Conference 2012 just a short while ago. Though the conference started off discussing the success of The Witcher series on all platforms and thanking all the fans, the real thing everyone wanted to hear was the new non-Witcher game the studio has been developing. A teaser image was released yesterday, giving off a cyberpunk, futuristic feel — a far cry from The Witcher.
At approximately 1:20 PM ET, the official announcement was made: CD Project RED is developing Cyberpunk. Cyberpunk is based off a pen&paper role-playing game of the same name created by Mike Pondsmith in 1988. Cyberpunk features 4700+ pages describing the game world in 44 handbooks — a rich, futuristic world with ultra-modern technology and a decadent and degenerated human society.
The speaker went on to list six "promises" to gamers:
- Mature role-playing game for mature up audiences, realistic and brutal, set in a rich, futuristic world
- Gripping non-linear story filled with life and detail
- Advanced RPG mechanics based on pen&paper RPG system
- Varied selection of different character classes
- Gigantic arsenal of weapons, upgrades, implants and cool high-tech toys
- Set new standard in the futuristic RPG genre with an exceptional gaming experience
Those are obviously some very lofty goals, but if any studio can accomplish it, it's CD Projekt RED. Though Cyberpunk is being developed by a second team, it contains veterans from The Witcher and The Witcher 2 development teams. Unfortunately, no release date was mentioned and the game looks extremely early in development, so it could be a long time before we get to play it (just a single piece of concept art was shown). Definitely worth keeping your eye on though.
UPDATE: The Conference is now available for viewing (skip to 18:30 for the reveal). Sorry for the delay, but had to wait for them to upload it, as I had watched it live: