Ubisoft Ignoring PC for Upcoming Ghost Recon: Future Soldier

edwardquilo - November 25, 2011 10:23PM in Gaming

Piracy has forced Ubisoft to take the console-only approach to its upcoming Ghost Recon: Future Soldier military simulation game. PC Gamers still have Ghost Recon Online to look forward to, and apparently this is the only Ghost Recon we're going to get from Ubisoft. "We are giving away most of the content for free because there's no barrier to entry," says Ubisoft's Sébastien Arnoult. With no DRM to plague PC gamers, Ghost Recon Online is a step in the right direction for the company, but even a PC port of Ghost Recon: Future Soldier would have been a welcome sight. "When we started Ghost Recon Online we were thinking about Ghost Recon: Future Solider; having something ported in the classical way without any deep development, because we know that 95% of our consumers will pirate the game. So we said okay, we have to change our mind," explains Arnoult.

This isn't the first time that Ubisoft is steering a game away from the PC platform, though. The previously rumored-to-be-canceled I Am Alive title was initially thought to be released for PC alongside consoles, but it's now a console-exclusive. "Perhaps it will only take twelve guys three months to port the game to PC, it’s not a massive cost but it’s still a cost. If only 50,000 people buy the game then it’s not worth it," says Creative Director Stanislas Mettra.