YouTube Mobile gets a Makeover
d3bruts1d - July 8, 2010 05:30AM in Internet
Due to the increasing popularity of accessing the internet from mobile devices, YouTube has launched a revamped version of their mobile site (http://m.youtube.com). The new and improved site brings to it more features, more HTML5 video, and easier navigation. The new mobile website has been called a better experience than native YouTube apps for Android and the iPhone (Apple Related & Talk Android). So, what's new? According to Google:
- It's really fast.
- The user interface incorporates larger, more touch-friendly elements, making it easier to access videos on the go.
- It incorporates the features and functionality you’ve come to expect from the .com site, like search query suggestions, the options to create playlists, the ability to designate “favorite,” “like” or “unlike” videos directly from your device.
- As we make improvements to Youtube.com, you’ll see them quickly follow on our mobile site, unlike native apps which are not updated as frequently.
Google provided some interesting numbers in the same blog post where the mobile revamp was announced.
- YouTube video playback was up 160% in 2009 over the previous year.
- YouTube Mobile receives more than 100 million video play backs per day, that's roughly the same amount YouTube.com was getting when they were acquired by Google in 2006.
- When YouTube mobile launched in 2007 it only had about 1,000 videos.
Give the new YouTube mobile a try, and let us know what you think about it in the comments.