Guide: Fueler's Custom Modded Folding Righardnrg -
End Caps & Castor Wheels:
I picked up a nice piece of red oak at The Home Depot and cut the top and bottom end caps.
I don't have any room in my office to set the PC, except on the floor. So to make it easier to vacuum the carpet, I'm going to put the PC on wheels. I already have two 1' x 1 1/2" x 1/4" steel bars to mount the wheels on from a previous rig, so I saved a little time not having to make them again. They are just ugly painted steel bars though, so I don't want to have to look at them. To accomplish this, I'm going to cut a recess into the bottom wood end cap so the bars will sit flush with the bottom and then make some aluminum caps to cover the ends of the bars that will stick out from the bottom of the case.
My benchtop mill has a 10" range of movement from left to right. Unfortunately the cut I needed to make was 10 1/4", so to finish the cut I had to un-clamp everything and move it over a little just to cut that last little bit.
To make the end caps for the steel bars, I had to cut a couple of pieces from some 3" 6061 aluminum bar stock. It takes the band saw about 45 minutes to make one cut through this stuff but if you have ever tried to make a straight cut by hand with a hack saw then you would know that you can't and even if you made it through, then your arms would feel like rubber. As it is, the band saw makes a nearly perfect cut and I kept busy with other things while it whacked away.
An hour and a half later I had two aluminum disks. Next I popped them onto the lathe, cleaned up the front and back surfaces and also cut them to the exact same width.
From here they went to the mill where I recessed the bottom, so that they would also fit flush with the bottom of the case. Then they went back to the band saw to be cut into four half moons. This is what I ended up with.
Earlier, while the aluminum was getting cut, I made the mounting plate for the motherboards (I used a piece of aluminum I had left over after cutting a window in my sons WaveMaster case). The boards will be centered in the middle of the case. My first thought was to use two mounting plates, but I ended up going with one because it was less material (I had enough aluminum laying around to make one mount - two would have required me buying more aluminum) and I could keep the width down to a minimum (as it is, it's still 10" wide).
Next, I fit up the motherboards, drilled the mounting plate and installed the studs that the boards will mount to (I'll use acorn nuts to fasten the boards down).
So this is how it looks so far.
This is what I meant when I said I wanted everything to be flush with the bottom of the case. If you look real close between the bottom of the case and the counter top you can see all the dirty dishes that have been piling up in my sink because I've been too busy working and trying to finish this case .